Friday, October 23, 2015

My Ideal Customer

There's an old saying in the life insurance business.  "There are only two reasons to buy life insurance;  you love someone or you owe someone money", which is of course means that virtually everyone should buy life insurance.  I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that everyone should buy it from me.  As much as I would like to have the commission from that many life insurance sales, there are only 24 hours in the day, and I'm not a good fit for everyone.  Just as there are many people who are great people individually but don't make a "love connection".

I don't often ask for referrals, but I get a lot of unsolicited ones.  I love when it happens, because there's no better indicator that I am doing a good job for a customer than he or she telling friends and family about me.  Most of the time it works great, but sometimes it's like an awful blind date.  That doesn't mean to not refer someone if you're not 100% sure it will work out.  I've been at this long enough that I'm not going to curl up in the corner and cry if I get rejected.  But I am going to publish this list so people have a better idea of the likelihood of me being a good match.

Here are characteristics of my ideal customer.  For me to be a good fit, we should match on at least a few of these.  

  • Positive Attitude
  • Non Smoker (Ex-smoker is even better)
  • Athlete/competitor/fitness and health-oriented
  •   Parent
  • Goal-oriented/planner
  • Self-employed
  •  Has connections for people to refer to me.  A social person.  
  • Open-mind
  • Critical thinker
  • Passionate
  • Cares about others
  •   Hates paying taxes
  •   Into self-improvement
  •  Odd/eccentric  Rebellious
  •   Loves being outdoors
That is far from being a comprehensive list, but it's a good start.  They don't have to owe anyone any money, either.  Dave Ramsey followers are just fine with me.

No comments: