Monday, October 12, 2015

(Almost) All Comebacks Are Possible (Day 14)


One of the reasons I prefere life insurance over all other products I work with is that it's the only catastrophe where a comeback is impossible.  Once you're dead, you're dead.  Life insurance prevents a personal disaster from also being a financial disaster.




Now that I've talked insurance, let's talk baseball!  Today's finish was one of the best finishes that I didn't see.  I didn't even get to hear Denny Mathews.  Instead I got John Kruk and some other windbag the radio.  The only good thing about it was that they were dead wrong when they declared the KC team dead after the Astros (when the heck did they move to the American League, by the way?) hit back to back homers and took a 6-2 lead in the bottom of the 7th inning.  I saw this on my computer screen while the commentators went on and on about how great the Astros were and how the Royals were done, couldn't come back from this deficit, etc.


I hadn't realized that it was an afternoon game until I got a text from my friend Gary "The Carrot" Davis, with whom I watched most of last year's playoff wins at Buffalo Wild Wings.  The way they had been hitting, I had my doubts about their ability to come back.  I even texted Gary, "I guess I'll be saving $ and time from not watching.  And more running miles".  That text was at 2:55 p.m., as I was getting ready to head out the door to parent teacher conferences. 

But before I left, the Royals quickly loaded the bases and had Lorenzo Cain at the plate with no outs.  I listened on earbuds and got text updates as the Royals scored 5 in the inning to take 1 run lead into the bottom of the 8th.  It wasn't easy, but I turned the radio off while talking to teachers, so I missed the 2 last inning insurance (see, I'm still talking about "insurance") runs supplied by Hosmer's homer. 


Now I just have to figure out how to squeeze a couple of days of insurance work into tomorrow so I can enjoy most of Wednesday night's game 5 clinching win for the Royals!



No comments: