Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Frog and the Scorpion (Day 16)

In 1992 people were raving about the fable of the frog and the scorpion fable in The Crying Game, but I was thinking that it came from what I think is a much better movie, Skin Deep.  If you aren't familiar with it, you can view it here.  Or the Crying Game version here.  However, it was actually first in a film in 1955, an Orson Welles film called Mr. Arkadin.  Which probably stole it from something earlier.

Regardless of where it came from, it's still a lesson I'm continuing to learn.  I'm getting better at my job as I'm realizing that people often act illogically.  Sometimes I need to help them do that.  I always say that what I sell is a good night's sleep, but I've been realizing lately that I sometimes put too much emphasis on doing what is logical.

I had several examples come up today.  I talked to two different people who I could save some money by switching their health insurance to a different company.  I told them briefly how they could save the money, etc.  However, both of them expressed that they liked their current coverage, the premium is affordable, and that they felt safe and secure with their current company.  A few years ago I would have pushed hard for them to make the change to save the money.  Today, however, I reinforced them keeping their coverage as it is.  I reinforced their decision, making sure that they continue to sleep well.  That's the most important thing I do, even more important than saving them money.  I had a similar conversation with a customer regarding life insurance.  His kids have told him that he doesn't need to spend the money on life insurance.  I've crunched the numbers and see that he could possibly pay more for the life insurance than it will pay out.  It's not logical.  But logic has nothing to do with it.  He will sleep better tonight knowing that when he passes away, his family will receive a chunk of money without it having to go through probate, and it will be a quick and tax-free payout.  Taking care of his family, that's his nature.  And worth every bit he's going to pay.


No comments: