Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ride of Silence Today



Across the world today, bicyclists will be riding in silence at a slow pace to bring awareness to the issue of motorists hitting bicyclists. Here in Des Moines, the ride will start at 6:30 at the steps of the Historical Society building (600 E Locust). Unfortunately, I didn't find out about it until today. I definitely will ride it in the future. For details of the movement and ride locations, please check out their web site, http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

As an insurance agent, I look at this as a prime reason to make sure we're all covered with life and accident insurance. But it's a much more personal issue for me. About 20 years ago I was hit by a drunk driver while on my way home from a training ride. By sheer luck my bike went to the left and I rolled to the right. The driver drug my bike under his car for almost a block before turning the corner and running over it with the back wheels. Had he hit at a slightly different angle, it would have been me under the car. Although he fled the scene, was driving without a license and had no insurance, he spent a couple of days in jail but had no further consequences. Because he had no insurance or job, I even had to get my destroyed racing bike replaced on my own. I have mostly recovered, but still have problems with my hip that was injured and will probably have to have it replaced at a relatively young age.

I was the lucky one. Two of my friends and teammates were killed in separate incidents, Dan Bockenstedt, and Chris Lillig. When I do the ride next year, I'll be riding a bike formerly owned by Chris.


So when you're driving, remember that bicyclists have as much legal right to the road than you, but more importantly that they are friends, parents, sons and daughters.

No comments: