Saturday, November 1, 2008

Who to Vote For?

The following is my response to a friend who says we should vote for Obama because then we'll have universal healthcare:

"You obviously don't work in the health care or insurance industry or haven't talked to anyone from Canada. Universal health care is extremely expensive and inferior to coverage available in the private sector. If you want to see the right way to do healthcare, take a look at Medicare part C & D. Letting the private companies compete has resulted in prescription coverage costing billions less than what was predicted. The best way to solve the health care problems is to reward healthy decisions and to make the consumer pay a large portion of the cost. The problem we have is that health care costs are rising because of overuse. Our generation runs to the doctor every time we have an ache or pain we brought on ourselves and expect it to be paid for. Quit smoking, exercise, maintain a healthy weight weight, eat your vegetables, drink water, sleep 8 hours a night, etc. If you still get sick with something major, then use your health insurance. If we all did that, half the hospitals and doctors wouldn't even be needed. The vast majority of health costs (95%???) comes from a small minority (5%???) of the population. Almost all of those costs can be traced to smoking and obesity. The biggest problem we have in this country is not letting people suffer the natural consequences of their actions. "

I'm still undecided and don't like any of my choices. All I know is that the choices I make in all the other areas of my life will have a much bigger impact on mine and my family's future than who is chosen as president.

2 comments:

Leslie D-V said...

i really like your blog I hope you dont mind me linking back to you.Its nice to read another insurance nerds blog

hehe I see where you are from and instantly know who you work for

alienhockey said...

who is leslie?