Friday, March 7, 2008

Exsanguination Insurance

When I heard the word "exsanguination" on one of the numerous versions of CSI awhile back, I knew what I meant. I guess my $400+ monthly student loan payment for that English degree is worth it!

If you didn't spend a semester in "Greek and Latin for vocabulary building", exsanguination basically means to bleed to death. After seeing what happened to Richard Zednick of the Florida Panthers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0_LGblKGk&feature=related and then going back and watching a similar thing happen to Clint Malarchuk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQH9x1lqDc&feature=related back in the 80's, I started thinking about the odds of something similar happening to me. (If you read this blog regularly, you'll find that I'll jump at every chance I get to try to write about both hockey and insurance together.) Realistically, the odds of it happening are pretty small. But at the same time, so was the price of a neck guard. I picked one up at Alien Hockey for about $16. The knock I hear on neck guards is that they're uncomfortable. This one was, straight out of the package, because it's designed for up to a 17" neck and I buy my dress shirts with a 17 1/2" neck. However, all it took was sewing an additional 2" piece of Velcro on it, and now I don't even know it's there when I play. I've even discovered that it has the unexpected benefit of helping me stay warmer when playing on the east rink of MISF where they only turn the heat on during the 3 months I had off back when I was a teacher.

As far as I know, no one offers an insurance policy to specifically cover exsanguination, just life insurance. There's one minor drawback, though: you have to die to collect! Make that two drawbacks. Somebody else gets the money, too. Just like my fire insurance on my house and my theft insurance on my truck, I'll probably never need it, but my $16 exsanguination policy is money well-spent.

No comments: